Monday, December 15, 2008

Jen's Hungarian Mushroom Soup

I love it, but had never made it before last weekend. Almost absurdly simple and just about fail-proof, this soup will be added to my short list. I used plain white button and cremini mushrooms this time, but may jazz it up with some chantrelles, porcini or shiitake mushooms next time.

Jen's Hungarian Mushroom Soup
serves 4

1/4 c. butter
2 c. chopped onions
1 lb mushrooms, cut into quarters
2 tsp. dried dillweed
1 T. paprika
1 T. soy sauce
2 c. chicken stock
1 c. milk
3 T. flour
1 tsp. salt
pepper
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 c. parsley
1/2 c. sour cream

Sauté onion & mushrooms in butter over medium heat about 5 mins.
Stir in dill, paprika, soy sauce, chicken stock.
Lower heat to simmer, cover for 15 mins.
Whisk milk & flour together to make a slurry, add to soup, stir and cook 15 more mins, covered.
Stir in salt, pepper, lemon, parsley & sour cream.
Optional: use immersion blender to blend*
Heat thru. Eat!

*or, transfer to blender and blend, in batches.

Couple things:
I mistakenly added 2 tablespoons dillweed instead of teaspoons. It was a little more dilly than normal, but not in a bad way.
Advice - use your fingers to blend the milk and flour; the whisk just makes it harder.
We had the first bowls of soup unblended. I really, highly recommend blending it to combine flavors.
No pictures - I can't find the camera battery charger!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had something almost exactly like this for one of the courses at our wedding reception! Now I totally want to make this recipe :)

Thanks for posting it!!

Momma said...

I made the soup last night and it turned out great. I would be careful with the added salt - taste it first. I used low sodium chicken stock and added the full teaspoon of salt and it seemed a bit too salty. Otherwise it was absolutely delicious!

LadyConcierge said...

Hmmm, I used my own homemade stock, which has no salt in it, so you are right, one should be careful of the salt. I tend to like to under-salt my soups and add a little fleur de sel to my individual bowl.