Friday, May 25, 2007

Pho

I'm addicted to Pho Oregon. (Or Ph'Oregon as I'm calling it.) The combination of delicately complex, MSG-laden, slightly sweet but very spicy broth with eminently slurpable vermicelli noodles, bean sprouts, cilantro, culantro, basil, lime and thinly sliced beef is driving me wild. The broth is spicy cause I douse it with Sriracha. Customized, yo. I crave it once daily at least. To be fair, the *only* other pho I've tasted was from Pho Van (see extramsg's pho showdown here, complete with addresses and phone numbers) and that was take-out. And not hot enough. I first tried Pho Oregon at the end of April, and I've been back four times since. The days that I don't have it, I want it. The days that I do have it, I want it again later. I really can't get enough. I must learn how to make it. I have a recipe somewhere, and it's do-able, but getting all the spices and ingredients together initially is the challenge. Maybe next week or so I'll get out there and hit a Vietnamese market or two. Until then, I'm heading to Pho Oregon.

No comments: