Sunday, March 15, 2009

Soup Month: Taco Soup



I got this recipe from my soon-to-be cousin-in-law, Maggie. I made it with ground elk instead of beef (Thanks, Dad!!!). This is a very hearty soup great for the cold rainy weather we've been having. It's also very easy - most of it is made by opening cans! You can make it in the crockpot or stovetop. Yeah, baby!



Taco Soup

1 lb. ground beef
2 cans stewed tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can Ro-tel
1 can hominy, drained
1 can of corn, drained (or frozen)
1 can each of kidney beans, pinto beans and ranch-style beans (any kind of beans will work)
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 packet of ranch dressing mix
2 onions, chopped
cheese, hot sauce and sour cream for garnish

Brown the ground beef in a heavy skillet. Drain fat if you want to. Add the taco seasoning and stir till combined. Add to Crockpot if using, or a heavy soup pot for stovetop cooking.

Open all the cans. Drain the hominy and corn, then add to soup pot. Add the beans and tomatoes with their juices. (Instead of Ro-tel, I used a third can of stewed tomatoes with chiles and tomatoes. I also added a can of diced green chiles for fun.)

Add the chopped onions and stir in packet of ranch dressing mix. Stir very well.



Simmer for about 1 hour on the stovetop or 8 hours on low for the Crockpot.

To serve, place in bowls and add garnishes as desired.

I liked this with lots of hot sauce. Next time I may add some jalapenos to make it spicier. Or stir in a jar of salsa.

4 comments:

Erica said...

I heart soup! Thanks for the great ideas this month!!

mrs oh said...

ground elk? can't say i've ever had that!

i love cooking with cans of stuff because it's easy. mark says all white people cook with campbell's soup. :)

LadyConcierge said...

Mark should come to our house!

Gayle said...

Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I am loving soup month

I just made this recipe, with a few variations (I cannot follow directions for anything!) and YUM!!!

but in the spirit of your original soup, I did use ground buffalo (in the sale bin at my local FM)

keep the fabulous recipes coming...